Job Title Director of Business Attraction & Retention
Department Business Development
Reports To CEO
Positions Supervised None
FLSA Status EXEMPT
|This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.|
The Director of Business Attraction & Retention will, along with the EDC’s current leadership team, develop and execute an aggressive and innovative strategy to make St. Charles County the preferred location for businesses in Missouri and throughout the Midwest. The Director will establish his or herself as a senior economic development leader in the business attraction and retention field in St. Charles County and the St. Louis metro region.
|Essential Job Functions|
- Provide site selection, local and state business incentives, governmental ombudsman services, and financing options to existing St. Charles County, Missouri businesses and companies seeking to locate or expand in St. Charles County, Missouri.
- Direct the cooperative efforts of the Economic Development Round Table, including impact trips, trade shows and direct call activity for prospects.
- Develop relationships with and coordinate communication to site selection consultants.
- Contact and create relationships with St. Charles County companies in the assigned territory via phone calls, e-mail and meetings to determine the companies’ needs for local, regional, or state assistance.
- Partner with and assist local industry associations to improve industry competitiveness and improve the climate for growth and development in St. Charles County, Missouri.
- Promote and coordinate the use of local and state business incentives to aid in business expansion and business recruitment in St. Charles County, Missouri.
- Coordinate with the Missouri Partnership, Missouri Department of Economic Development, and other strategic partners in business retention, growth, and recruitment activities.
- Work closely with the EDC’s marketing and communications team to enhance the profile of St. Charles County and the EDC within the St. Louis metro area and beyond.
- Work with EDC staff to identify opportunities to help existing St. Charles County startups grow.
- Maintain current and deep understanding of local and state incentives.
- Write reports, proposals, and fill out applications.
- Perform other technical duties as assigned.
|Ancillary Job Functions|
- Research industry trends and research developing incentive programs.
|Education and Experience – An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.|
- Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, business, public administration with a minimum of 10 years direct experience in economic development or a closely related field or a Master’s degree in a related field in lieu of direct economic development experience. Professional certification under as a PCED or CEcD is desired.
- Must demonstrate prior tangible success attracting or retaining local businesses.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Advanced education in fields relevant to business and real estate, including professional certifications in economic development.
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities which may be representative, but not all-inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.|
- Strong organizational and communication skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills.
- Ability to follow through and sell the provided service.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to new situations.
- Strong writing skills and basic understanding of Microsoft Office suite, budgeting, and financial principals.
- Sales knowledge.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to work as a team.
- Have a sense of humor, along with being a self-starter.
|Physical Abilities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.|
- Ability to regularly talk on the phone and hear the other party.
- Ability to frequently sit and stand, and drive to client meetings.
- Possess precise hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to frequently type and write.
- Occasionally lift 10-20 pounds.
- Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more.
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less.
A competitive compensation package will be made available to the qualified candidate along with a full benefits package and 401K.
Candidates for this position will be evaluated by senior staff of the EDC and other local government partners. The most qualified individuals will be invited to participate in the next phase of the selection process. For consideration, please submit letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.
REFERENCES AND BACKGROUND INFORMATION
It is the EDC of St. Charles County’s policy to complete an extensive background and reference check of candidates. Once strong mutual interest has been established, candidates are asked to provide a list of references that should include, but not be limited to a supervisor, a peer, a development client and a subordinate, as applicable. Candidates will be asked to sign an authorization to release information for the purpose of background investigations, which may include verification of education, credit check, criminal and driving records. Should an offer be extended prior to the completion of these checks, the offer will be made contingent on the successful completion of the reference and background checks.